Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kethumathie Women's Hosptial

Hello everyone!
I apologize for my lack in posts here, I haven't been doing as much exciting traveling. Loads of trips to the beach and relaxing at home. And I also haven't had the opportunity to upload anymore pictures to my blog or to my snapfish account, I was hoping to do some today but lost track of time. I'll get them up, I know you all want to see the good juicy ones! haha!
So last week I started a new placement at the Kethumathie Women's Hospital in Panadura. I was kind of getting sick of Base Hospital and not doing much of anything. I can go around and listen to the doctors at home if I want, so why do it here? So... I have spent the last week and a half in the labor room at this maternity hosptial. Watching my first delivery was great! Makes me not want to have kids, but I'll probably change my mind. I am a little timid still about asking to assist or help do much, but the nurses and doctors are all very willing to teach me. I still do a lot of standing around looking dumb, but I help the mothers during delivery, telling them to "push" and "breath". I am learning a lot of new vocabulary! Its interesting to see the techniques they use, not that I've seen a delivery in the U.S. but here they have just one large labor room, with 7 beds. Its all open so there is no privacy for any of the patients! There is no option for epiderals, which makes me cringe just watching! They let the delivery come naturally, when the baby is ready it'll come, unless the labor isn't going well in which case they go straight to the OR for a C-section. They use somewhat of a sterile technique, though there are flies and mosquitos all over the place.
I saw my first set of multiples be born today. It was a lady who gave birth to two healthy baby boys. It exciting to be there for the labor and delivery part, I am learning so much. Hopfully I will be able to assist in a delivery before I leave!

Yesterday I also got the oportunity to go to the Tsunami camp that a few volunteers help run every day in the afternoon. I had the afternoon off from the hosptial so I joined them at the camp. Its pretty much 12-15 kids that lost almost everything in the tsunami of 2004. So they don't have a lot of school supplies or anything to help them learn. We go over there for 2 hours every day and have some time for an english lesson and also for play. Its fun to just be around them, they are all so happy to see you and have you there. Having their picture taken is like their favorite thing! But watch out, cause if they get ahold of it you might never see it in one peice again! haha! I hope that I can make it over there a few more times before I leave! They LOVE the soccer ball I brought and just kicking it around makes their day.

I hope that's enough to satisfy your cravings from Sri Lanka! Doing some good traveling in a couple of weeks, so keep an eye out!

Love from Sri Lanka
xoxo
Lauren

Kethumathie Woman's Hosptial!

No comments:

Post a Comment