Friday, March 20, 2009

March Outreach with P.A.

Hi guys!
So once a month Projects-Abroad organizes an outreach group volunteer project. All the volunteers are suppose to come together on that day and give their time to the local Sri Lankans. Last Friday was my first outreach of my stay, and it was fantastic! A P.A. alumni came back to Sri Lanka after his/her stay here, and donated money for a new school house to be built at a tsunami camp in Panadura. Well they finished building it last week, and we came in to decorate!! We drew huge murrals (wall paintings) on the outside of the building, "under the sea" was our theme. We painted all day, and the end product was GREAT! There were all sorts of kids running around and taking a look at what we were doing. Parents also came to watch. They were all excited for the new school house, and seemed very greatfull that their children will have a place to go to school and also play. The tsunami as I have said before has taken almost everything from these people. When the storm hit, all these people fled inland leaving a lot of their belongings behind. They set up these camps in nearby fields, and the people that have stayed and set up permanant residance at these camps are still suffering. Instead of returning to their homes to rebuild, a lot of them have just build at the camps. Its like low income housing I think. Its actually very sad.
But this is why I'm here, to help these people and I feel good about the things this company is doing here. It was such a reward to give back something to them, and see that they were grateful. What a great experience! Take a look at the pictures!

xoxo
Lauren
A mother with a little boy hanging the wash out to dry.
Before...
After... this is the front of the school house.

Me and my octopus! Hard at work! Sweating my ass off actually!

Rianne, Emma and I showing off our wall we painted! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Hannah, Emma, Annie and I with a bunch of the local kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment