Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kitugala & White Water Rafting! Sri Lankan style!


So before I start, you guys have noticed the sweet pictures I've put up for you to enjoy. Well... if you'd like to see more, click the snapfish link below and it will take you to my snapfish account where I have uploaded ALL my photos so far for safe keeping! Check 'em out!

So I obviously haven't put up ALL my photos yet, it just takes SO long to upload them! But I have finally figured out how to connect my camera to the computer in the internet cafe, so its easier now.
But this weekend was by far one of my favorite thus far! I asked Projects Abroad to book us a white water rafting trip so they did!!! haha! They have been sending volunteers to this one spot for the past 5 years, so they got the connections! They booked everything from the air conditioned van to the hotel and the rafting as well. It was a 2.5 hour journey to the small mountain town called Kitugala. We arrived in time for a quick swim in the cool river before dinner. After a long journey it was really nice to relax in the cooler then normal water. For dinner we had a traditional rice and curry meal, which was great! I guess I have started to really enjoy the types of food here! After dinner began the "Arrack Attack" once again. The local liquor suited us well that night, and the seven of us hung out, played cards and went for a midnight swim in the river! It was loads of fun! The next morning we were up and at 'em by 8 a.m. for breakfast, then off to rafting! Once at the rafting site, we were outfitted with helmet and lifevest after signing our life away on their disclaimer. We then decended the crumbly old stone steps to the river valley below, and climbed into the raft after a quick lesson, and off we went! Weren't we a site! haha! The rapids were only class 2 and 3 which are pretty small, but it was still LOADS of fun! We only rafted for about an hour, the river is lower now that it is the dry season. But the raft stopped right at the riverbank of our hotel, we climbed out and had some lunch. In the afternoon we were taken to a secluded swimming hole that was a mile hike into the jungle. It was so neat! It was sort of like Frenchman's hole in Bethal, but there were actually three pools and the cliffs weren't as high. But we swam and relaxed on the rocks. We returned to the hotel for a nice Sri Lankan style BBQ of pork, chicken and fish. We ate them with traditional style noodles, SO GOOD! One of the best meals I've had yet!

So I guess that's it for now! Hopefully by the end of the week or next week I will have the rest of my pictures posted on my Snapfish account. There you guys can find all the good stuff! The link is once again located below! ENJOY!

Hope everyone is doing fine! Love and miss everyone!

xoxo
Lauren

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=276600019/a=133901727_133901727/t_=133901727



Me with a king coconut! They are suppose to be GREAT for hangovers! haha

The girls and I on the river in Kitugala!




Here we are! Ready to RUMBLE!!!

1 comment: